Vacationing with my packraft in Hawai'i?

General discussion for everything that doesn't fit into the categories below!
RiverDogs

Vacationing with my packraft in Hawai'i?

Post by RiverDogs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:57 pm

I am on my way to the Big Island and have been looking for ideas on how to give my packraft a vacation in warmer waters as well. I saw the pic of someone surfing the waves in a packraft on the Alpacka page, any other experiences to share?

Aloha!

Arturgreen

Re: Vacationing with my packraft in Hawai'i?

Post by Arturgreen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:01 am

I can't speak as to the Big Island itself but I had good time floating some of the rivers on Kauai if you make it up there...

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:05 am

I got pretty into snorkeling out there, in the bays. You could increase your snorkel range a lot with an Alpacka & an secure anchor of some sort. Maybe 50 feet or so of P-cord, with a 5-foot chain & a weight on the end? Carry it all in a stuff sack? I've never even thought about anchoring before; just an idea.
All posts are personal opinions only.

"Boldness has a genius, power, and magic." -Goethe

pforward

Post by pforward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:20 pm

It looks like this is an old topic but I'd like to rejuvenate. I have 9 days in Kauai later this month and would love to hear about possible packraft trips. Thanks!

arisjunior

Post by arisjunior » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:50 pm

There are a handful of rivers that are worthwhile there, but anytime you encounter fresh water or salt water near a river mouth there you are exposing yourself to some pretty serious microorganisms. Check out this article titled seven surfing sicknesses on the Transworld site.

http://surf.transworld.net/1000077915/f ... icknesses/

crmcd79

Post by crmcd79 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:04 am

i spent a week in oahu in january and had i not brought my raft i woulda been kickin' myself. already mentioned, but the snorkeling is great with the raft. i simply looped my bowline around a belt loop, about 8ft of line; allowed me to hop in and out and move around a lot easier. surfed some waves as well, very fun. have a good trip.