Manually Inflatable PFD

The forum for anything related to gear.
azandis

Manually Inflatable PFD

Post by azandis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Does anyone know where you can get a MANUALLY inflatable PFD? I'm not that interested in the CO2 versions, they are kind of overkill for my use. I mainly use my raft for trapezing around Southeast Alaska and just need something incredibly light that I can inflate to cross lakes and short fjord crossings. Tried the therma-rest under the rain coat (too uncomfortable) and a kayak foam vest (too bulky to pack). What I would really like is a simple, vinyl PFD that I can inflate before I get on the water and then roll up and stow on the opposite bank.

I've often dreamed of a horse-shoe shaped PFD mad of the same material as my packraft with the same inflation valve as my raft... I wonder if the wonderful vanguards of practical inventiveness at Alpacka have ever considered creating such an accessory?

alaskabackcountry

Re: Manually Inflatable PFD

Post by alaskabackcountry » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Reach under the seat on your next airline flight. There should be just the PFD you're looking for...

andrewallan

Post by andrewallan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm

You can take the CO2 cylinder off the auto-inflating ones, and blow them up by mouth. Also consider Mountain Laurel Designs "thing", which is whatever you want it to be, or MYO using 10l milk/ wine bladders, or inflatable pillows in a lightweight shell.

Canoecamper

Post by Canoecamper » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:49 pm

van diemen

Post by van diemen » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Quote: " The AeroVest is not a flotation device, but it is an ideal item to keep in your car, pack or boat for emergency protection against the cold. Made in the USA."