Biluta packraft

The forum for anything related to gear.
androidmids

Biluta packraft

Post by androidmids » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Has anyone had any experiences with Biluta Packrafts?

I ordered one to check out as they are currently going for $225 each. and it should be here in 10 days or so. Couldnt find much on the web other than their facebook page which doesnt have to much to say
https://www.facebook.com/BilutaRaft-pac ... 462485096/

and their ebay page which is where I ordered it from so I can make a claim if im being screwed.

Im hoping it is a real deal, as I like the idea of having some low cost but safe packrafts around for friends, kids, neighbors and so on.

androidmids

Re: Biluta packraft

Post by androidmids » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:02 pm

So, my Biluta raft arrived.

Its a Nylon/PVC raft instead of the more common USA TPU/Nylon rafts. Shape is a little more angular than the alpacka or kokopelli rafts. With a pointer bow and stern, moderate rocker. Comes with straps for the front as well as 4 tie down spots, a 6 inch inflatable seat, a back strap and a manual pump. Its a single chamber like most packrafts and does not come with a tizip option so treat this an entry craft or for use with shorter trips. Also, dont attempt to take this on rivers that have a multiple chamber requirment.

Handles decently on flat water with a little wobble due to no fin. Bout the same as most packrafts. Was comfy sitting in for 12 hours. Backstrap was NOT comfy as it is hard plastic, unless wearing a low back pfd or with a towel. but it was doable. everything else seemed a+

However!!! The valve is NOT a leafield c7 or d7 which is the most common, and it does not appear tp be a halkey roberts or boston. It looks like a russian or chinese copy of a push push leafield (military) valve with a halky roberts twist lock for the pump. Wasnt an issue as all my pumps had an adapter that friction fit the valve, and the biluta shipped with a pump. BUT... the valve has a VERY tint leak that slowly deflates the raft. This appears to be a design flaw/feature as the pump is designed to be locked into the valve and left on during use. Once we figured this out, it made for smooth sailing.

Day 1, we took it on a 14 mile flatwater alpine lake trip.
Day 2 we did a 5 mile hike (it rolls down to a large paper towel roll size and weighs about 8lbs followed by a 10 mile class II river including 14 2-4 footdrop offs.
Day 3 we did a 5 mile class 1 river with lost of low flow over gravel and rocks.
Day 4 Bike rafted with the bike strapped to it for 6 miles across 2 miles class2 and then 3 foot drop offs for a 1/4 mile with the remainder of the distance an alpine lake.

With the exception of 3 holes in the floor caused by trekking poles that were pointing the wrong way in the pack. The raft has no damage, handled the whitewater, drop offs, dragging along the ground on several portages, and so on exceptionally well. All for less than $300

I am going to stick with my Kokopelli rafts but for low cost rafts to have for the friends, kids etc and as a general beater it is great.

leave the pump attached
upgrade the back band in some manner
dont leave sharp metal trekking poles pointing down towards the floor while going over a waterfall.